About Me

My photo
So Who am I?...I am the husband of one terrific wife and the father of two boys, both of whom have autism. I have been in the Marines for over 15 years and in that time ( and in my own growing up) I have seen, done and experienced a great multitude of things. Which is why I call myself Diverse Dad. My user name is a mix of a Toby Mac song and a reflection on a lot of different life experiences that have helped me grow and help others through similar situations. I can be pretty hyper sometimes and my wife often accuses me of being ADD. Other than that I see myself as a pretty normal dad who is trying to raise children with Godly Christian character in a world that seems to scream otherwise. By blogging I hope to offer words of encouragement to my fellow dads specifically and all people in general. Secondly by going through the pages of others, I hope to gain knowledge and ideas that can help my family and I. So feel free to comment good, bad or otherwise and share your thoughts...God Bless and I hope you enjoy!
Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Marines!

Greetings! See I told you I would be back soon. Well today is a special day, for it is the 234th Birthday of the United States Marine Corps. If any of my readers have the distinction of being a Marine (or a former Marine), to you I wish a Happy Birthday. If any of you know someone who is a Marine or a member of our fellow services, I humbly ask that on this upcoming Veteran’s day, that you please take a moment to reflect on the sacrifices great and small that these fellow Americans have made so that our loved ones may enjoy the freedoms that we enjoy today. If you do know one, please take a moment to offer an encouraging word. Believe it or not, it is greatly appreciated. I would like to share, that although the military life is a personal choice, it is comforting to be appreciated and to know our sacrifices and those of our families are not in vain. I know firsthand how difficult it is to be away from your loved ones for months on end without the assurance that the day you said good bye was not a forever good bye and it just may have been the last time you see them. Then there is the struggle while we are gone for our loved ones to carry on with life like normal. The hardest part is trying to reintegrate back into their lives. For the last few months of the deployment they have gotten into a good groove and we try to pick up where we left off. Believe me, it makes for a little friction, which no offense to anyone, when you have special needs children, it can be compounded greatly. The worse scenario (and too often true) is to be the family member seeing your loved one’s unit returning but your loved one is not one of them. I am not trying to sound depressing; I was just trying to give insight to what is felt by real live human beings and what our experience is. I have been in the military for 18 years and I assure you, it never gets easier. Now, let us move on….actually I will save the rest for a later post. Until next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment