About Me

My photo
So Who am I?...I am the husband of one terrific wife and the father of two boys, both of whom have autism. I have been in the Marines for over 15 years and in that time ( and in my own growing up) I have seen, done and experienced a great multitude of things. Which is why I call myself Diverse Dad. My user name is a mix of a Toby Mac song and a reflection on a lot of different life experiences that have helped me grow and help others through similar situations. I can be pretty hyper sometimes and my wife often accuses me of being ADD. Other than that I see myself as a pretty normal dad who is trying to raise children with Godly Christian character in a world that seems to scream otherwise. By blogging I hope to offer words of encouragement to my fellow dads specifically and all people in general. Secondly by going through the pages of others, I hope to gain knowledge and ideas that can help my family and I. So feel free to comment good, bad or otherwise and share your thoughts...God Bless and I hope you enjoy!
Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Friday, April 23, 2010

Pre Concert Post

Okay, I know it seems like I fell off the face of the earth but that is not possible because the earth is round, not flat. As I mentioned in a earlier post, I really have no excuses nor apologies. When not at work I try to spend time with the family. Yet there are times the work day gets to me and I need a few minutes alone to decompress. At any rate, life at work has been a little hectic but thankfully I have a loving family to come home to and spend weekends with. Lately, with the weather getting nicer, we have started the hobby of geocaching. If you have never tried it, I highly recommend it. What is geo-caching you ask? Essentially it is a modern day treasure hunt. Instead of using a map, you need a gps (or a smart phone gps capable). You plug the coordinates in off the geocaching website and you are off. They come at all levels of difficulty and are world wide. Just go to www.geocaching.com to learn more. We have had a lot of fun doing it as it is a great way to spend family time together, with the exception of some form of GPS there is no cost, and it is even educational for both your child and you. I included a picture at the bottom of this post of one of the caches we found (it wasn't easy).
Let me move on to the title of this post though...Pre-concert post. Tomorrow morning my eldest son and I will embark on a three hour road trip to see Casting Crowns. It will be our second Crowns concert so I am sure we will enjoy it. The original reason we decided to go is that they were touring with Kutless ( who I have have wanted to see for along time and yes my son likes them a lot too). However, half way through the tour they switched over to 10th Avenue North, which is good but I was looking forward to Kutless. The important thing is that I am spending time with my son, especially at this stage in his life, I believe it to be an important time. If you think about it, being a Dad (or Mom), is the most important job that can ever be entrusted to you. Your actions (or inactions) have consequences that do not stop at that person. As a Marine I am entrusted with much responsibility (which I do not take lightly) yet it does not come even close to the responsibility and duty that God has entrusted to me in raising my boys into responsible God fearing men. Often we let things often get in our way from doing our job the right way. It may be a hobby, the computer, your job that you get tangible pay from, or a plethora of other things. There are couple of songs that drive this point home: Busy Man (Billy Ray Cyrus) or American Dream (Casting Crowns). If you have the opportunity, listen to them both and you will find them pretty sobering. Well, I should wrap this up, I still need to pack for tomorrow. Until next time remember, work for the things that matter. Here are the geocaching pictures. Do you see the cache? The next picture will reveal it.

No comments:

Post a Comment