About Me

My photo
So Who am I?...I am the husband of one terrific wife and the father of two boys, both of whom have autism. I have been in the Marines for over 15 years and in that time ( and in my own growing up) I have seen, done and experienced a great multitude of things. Which is why I call myself Diverse Dad. My user name is a mix of a Toby Mac song and a reflection on a lot of different life experiences that have helped me grow and help others through similar situations. I can be pretty hyper sometimes and my wife often accuses me of being ADD. Other than that I see myself as a pretty normal dad who is trying to raise children with Godly Christian character in a world that seems to scream otherwise. By blogging I hope to offer words of encouragement to my fellow dads specifically and all people in general. Secondly by going through the pages of others, I hope to gain knowledge and ideas that can help my family and I. So feel free to comment good, bad or otherwise and share your thoughts...God Bless and I hope you enjoy!
Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wouldn't Change a Thing

I was just thinking (I know I shouldn't), I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to having children with autism. There are so many people out there who want to "cure" their child's autism or not accept it all. Not to offend anyone, but I do not think that is possible. They may cope with their disability better but it will never go away. As for my boys, I do not think I would want to in the first place. God made them who they are for a reason and a purpose, as he made all of us that way. Take my youngest for example. He is non verbal and cognitively very low functioning on the autism spectrum. And people out there see it as he is unable to do anything, what they would deem productive. However I tend to disagree. As I watch him, he enjoys his life very much and it does not take much for him to enjoy himself. How many people do we know that have quite the material stock pile, yet are still unhappy. I won't stop there though...he has also taught me a lot about myself (some of it wasn't pretty) and a lot about patience.He has taught me not to judge others, no matter of the circumstances, too quickly. Or lets take my eldest son, who is high functioning autistic and so intelligent it is just plain scary sometimes. He can literally do math in his head before I can complete it on paper. He also has a very energetic personality and is very compassionate about his convictions and beliefs. He doesn't live in a gray world, it is pretty much black and white. I think about that, isn't that how God sees things. There is no grey with God, it is pretty much black and white with Him too! There is not a sin that is OK as long as it is in a certain context. Unfortunately, even for myself at times, the lines of definition are blurred and it isn't very clear. I like to think of my eldest son as a reality check from God. When I am not patient enough to listen to Him he interjects through my son. Well that is what I think, to summarize everything, I wouldn't change a thing. Well that is enough for now. Next time, lets talk about Mothers day. Below are a couple pictures of the kids. Also one of my Cougar that I talked about in previous entries. Until next time, may you always choose the narrow gate.


My youngest checking out his brothers keyboard(he loves music)



My eldest being happy




And finally a picture of the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment